Everyone makes mistakes sometimes! That's why we've made it easy to cancel receipts that have been issued incorrectly, and re-issue receipts so that your donors have accurate records.
About Cancelling and Re-issuing Receipts
When a receipt is incorrect, you can easily cancel just the receipt, without cancelling the donation itself. You can also issue a replacement receipt, if desired.
Here's an example of a cancelled receipt:
When you re-issue a receipt, it will display the serial number for the cancelled receipt it replaces.
Here's an example of a re-issued receipt:
Cancelled receipts will remain on the donation record under the "Cancelled Receipts" section, to make it easy for you to find them later. Reissued receipts will appear under the "Receipt" section.
Here's an example of where you can find them on a donation record:
How to cancel a receipt
Note: The steps below apply to both single donation receipts and Cumulative Receipts (a cumulative receipt is one with multiple donations on it, typically issued at year-end). When cancelling a cumulative receipt, the receipt will automatically be cancelled for every donation that is part of the receipt.
- Open a Contact record and navigate to the Donations tab.
- Locate the donation containing the receipt and click to open it.
- Click on the gear icon in the upper right corner of the donation record and choose Cancel Receipt from the menu.
- You'll see a popup asking you to confirm you want to cancel the receipt. Click Confirm to proceed.
- The receipt will now be appear in the "Cancelled Receipts" section at the bottom of the donation record. You can click on the receipt's name to preview it, or use the Download button to save it and email it to the donor.
How to re-issue a single donation receipt
If you've cancelled a receipt following the steps above and would like to now issue a new receipt for a single donation to replace it, follow the steps below.
- Click on the gear icon in the upper right corner of the donation record and choose Generate Receipt from the menu.
- You'll now be taken to the Receipt Generator. Review the Donor Info tab, make any adjustments needed, and click Next when ready.
Quick Tip: Be sure to check the box next to "Email a copy of the receipt to this contact" if you would like Keela to send them a copy of this receipt when you're done.
- On the Donation Info tab, review the information, make any changes needed and click Preview to see your changes, if desired. When ready, click Submit to generate the receipt.
- The new receipt will now appear in the "Receipt" section at the bottom of the donation record. You can click on the receipt's name to preview it or use the Download button to save the receipt.
How to re-issue a cumulative donation receipt
If you've cancelled a receipt following the steps above and would like to now issue a new Cumulative Receipt for multiple donations to replace it, follow the steps below.
Note: Only donations with no receipts or cancelled receipts can be selected for a cumulative receipt. Donations with active receipts cannot be selected for a cumulative receipt.
- Select the donations you wish to be part of the cumulative receipt.
- Click Edit Selected > Create cumulative receipt
- You'll receive a popup asking if you'd like to generate a cumulative receipt for these donations. Click Confirm to proceed. Your cumulative receipt will be processed and the PDF will be presented for download.
- You can also open any of the donations selected to create the cumulative receipt to view it. You can click on the receipt's name to preview it, or use the Download button to save the receipt.